Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Under the Sink Organization

It has been over two month since I have posted. I was hoping to make a post every week or at least every other week or at the bare minimum once a month...but oh well. Anywho, everytime I went to get my cleaning products or throw some trash away the mess under my kitchen sink was DISGUSTING!!! But I have ignored it for so long, but finally I decided I needed to do something about it. I don't know if deciding to clean it was from complete annoyance and disgust or nesting instinct, as I am going on nine months pregnant. Whichever it was I am thankful I decided to take on that mess!

Before--I even emptied it out a little.
All that stuff by the sink and on the floor was also under there.
I completely emptied and trashed what was old/out of date and there was tons of empty cleaning containers. I don't know why I felt the need to keep those at one time in my life, but now they are in the garbage.

Yikes! It is embarrassing posting these pictures! That pink stuff in the top picture was really ooey-gooey, perhaps it was spilt dish soap...I don't know. So I took my putty knife and scaped it across the surface and cleaned up the surface the best I could. There had been a small water leak under there one time so the board was damanged and bubbled/flaking. Next, I gathered up my supplies.

-#6 peel n' stick tiles
-tube of all-purpose adhesive
-caulk gun
 Since under the sink was not a completely smooth surface I decided to get some all purpose adhesive to make sure the tiles would stay in place. I applied it to the back of the each tile--I applied a thin bead about 2 inches from the sides all the way around tile and then made and "X" in the middle of the tile with it. I then just layed them down. I started in the front corner and worked my way to the left. When I got to the pipes I just made a notch in the tile. Next, I went to the back corner and I measured the area remaining and then I used a razor blade to score the tile to the appropriate size.

To lay the tile took literally a few minutes. I didn't set a timer, but it took way more time to empty out the area and prep the surface. I didn't allow any dry time for the tile before putting everything back in, it has held up regardless.

I am completely happy with the transformation!! The tiles leave an easy to clean surface. This project costed: $2.24 for the adhesive (I already had the caulk gun) and $.92 for each tile (I used #6) projects grand total was $7.76. I actually could of went much cheaper on the tile, but I liked the color and texture of these, so I paid the extra few cents per square foot :) I got the tile at Lowe's Item #208426 12x12 Terraza Terracotta.